Urban haps of a grrrl on a mission to be a better writer, a new music master-blaster and a wonderfully brilliant razor-packing, MAC LipGlass wearing feminista...

Monday, March 10, 2008

Weekend Washout: The Wire

As if the rain wasn't bad enough, it was so, so sad to see The Wire go bye-bye. As I mentioned here before The Wire was one of those shows that had that crunky trifecta for great tv —superb writing, outstanding, gritty acting and some serious directing. Personally I loved seeing so many of my homies from round the way make their mark and give HBO some more color, some more shine and some more edge, and of course it was gratifying knowing their hard work was finally paying off and they were getting paid. Andre Royo, who deserves an Emmy for his work this season, has paid mad dues (he played a dude named Fruity Pebblez in Big Bank Take Little Bank-- need I say more). I met him while working with Mums in this wonderful production he did for the Hip Hop Theater festival many moons ago and always thought he was as intriguing on screen as off. And of course Sonia Sohn, who I met sometime in the 90's when she was down with the amazingly tight spoken word cipher of the time. She always had that thing and would hit us with her crazy sexy cerebral flow. I remember one of her most popular poems was about sex and I can’t even remember anything more specific other than the reaction of deep guttural whoas and frenzied screams she would get every time by everyone within earshot. It was seductive, heart stabbing hard, and full of passionate angst. Now that I think about it, that poem sounds a lot like her Detective Shakima Greggs. I bet Sonia laced David Simon's eardrums with that joint and got the part just like that. I wouldn’t be surprised. Anyway I loved so many of the characters on the Wire especially the ladies and thanks to Maxwell (yep that one, now that The Wire is done he promises to finish his album... lol) he's posted all of their pics in an homage of sorts.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SheWhoLives said...

Hi Hot Grrrl!

Great blog. I keep hearing about "The Wire" from various people... about how great it is, one of the best cop shows ever, etc, etc. It was showing in the UK up until a few weeks ago so missed my chance to catch it on the small screen but think I might have to invest in the DVD boxset...

3/18/2008 8:20 PM

 
Blogger SheWhoLives said...

Oh and I have added you to my blogroll :-)

3/18/2008 8:20 PM

 
Blogger Melody.Darlene said...

i LOVE wire!! one of the greatest shows... but i hate when the old repeats are censored on BET! lol!

anywho, i found ur blog cuz i randomly decided to click to see who else loved the book The White Boy Shuffle! hahahah! i noticed we had another book on there in common too! hahaha!! great blog!

3/20/2008 2:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home