Urban haps of a grrrl on a mission to be a better writer, a new music master-blaster and a wonderfully brilliant razor-packing, MAC LipGlass wearing feminista...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Stacie J's Golden & Waffle Fries in the Hamptons

There are certain, very specific things that instantly make me feel at home, remind me of growing up at home in the Bronx, or better yet they inspire me to create Home—a safe sanctuary where I imagine there is enough green space for me to barbecue, plant my garden and chill in my Jacuzzi or at least my hammock, jeesh! Where there’s laughter, birds chirping and the smell of a Duncan Hines cake baking in the oven. Raised in NYC it’s startling how much the beach or being near any large body of water conjures this feeling of Home of being where I naturally should be. When I can't fly out to some place tropical or, even for that matter, make it up to Martha’s Vineyard or out to Sag Harbor, I’m glad it takes me less than an hour to get to get to Jones Beach. I’ve already made two spur of the moment dashes this summer and have had the best time simply wading in the water, basking in the sun and listening to Ijahman and Ben Harper on my iPod.

Weekend before last though I did go out east and took my girl Tish along for the experience. She was on a mission to go out to a club and it was then that I realized I never go to any clubs or lounges when I’m there. I went once to some Kimora Baby Phat party years ago but that was more for work than pleasure. It’s weird because for me The Hamptons represents the antithesis of what it has become notorious for-- the parties, the clubs, the shopping, the fancy schmancy restaurants (although I must admit to really liking it here) . When I’m in Sag I’m barbecuing out back with The Brittons, making my famous margaritas, playing scrabble and chillin on the beach. Sag inspires that Home spirit in me. I want to relax. Breathe. Eat what I want. Sleep in and laugh out loud. And now that my ex who is from there taught me how to fish and where to fish that just completes my circle of life in The Hamptons.

Talking about eating what I want while in Sag, I discovered the satisfaction of waffle fries while at B. Smith’s. Usually, in an attempt to control my bootyliciousness or, rather, my tummyliciousness, I substitute my fries for a salad. But I’m Home and I’m letting it all hang out, so I want my lobster roll with waffle fries, mayo on the side and cream in my coffee. What?! Where the hell have waffle fries been all my life? They were scrumptious and really got me thinking of summers long ago in City Island and the first time I had fried fish with fries from the take out joint (the last one on the end on the right). How by the time I got back to my seat after it being wrapped in that wax paper it would be all soft. The ketchup would have steamed into the Wonder bread and stuck to my finger tips then fall apart around that hot salty piece of whiting that was always doused in an insane blend of tartar and Red Devil hot sauces. Oh man those were the days! Ocean breezes. Messy fried food and music blaring from someone’s boombox at a crowded table outside.

Besides food, certain scents also bring out that homey feeling. Lilac. Smoky barbecue grills. Fresh cut grass. Three minutes right before a drenching summer rain. Sung perfume (I rocked that like crazy in high school & college). My mother’s Estee Lauder.

It seems like Stacie J. is working on extending her 15 minutes of fame by capitalizing on the power of a good scent and the amazing profitability of a good scent. Just ask J.Lo and Diddy. Last Tuesday she launched her scent-- Golden, at Fashion 40 and sho nuff, Black reality stars like Kwame & Randall (both from The Apprentice) and Camille (from Top Model) came out to lend their support and cop that photo op. Stacie, who according to the boardroom discussion, was fired from The Apprentice for basically being the crazy Black woman that instilled fear in the hearts of her white female counterparts so much so that they didn’t feel safe with her even being on the set. Yep it was just that insane (although I must admit Stacie’s eightball hijinks were a bit kooky)! Anyway since I never got a gift bag or a sample of Golden I can't tell you first hand what it smells like. I heard from folks in the house that it was musky and strong. Take that however you want. One guy said he loved it. Again that can be taken however. As for me I’m rocking this new scent that this rep gave me at Bendel’s and it is my fave for the summer. It’s called The Pour Un Ete by L'Artisan Parfumeur and has hints of citrus, jasmine and green tea. It is simple, softly refreshing and comforting-- kinda like home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their blog is very interesting. Congratulations! ! !

7/21/2006 2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have something in common. I used Sung was my signature fragrance in college and my mom was an Estee devotee. Since we have simimilar "tastes" in scents I might have to check out your recommendation. For me, I am rolling with DKNY Be Delicious (green) this summer then something a little heavier in the fall. Sounds like you had a nice time. It is always nice to get out of the city in my opinion...even if it is just for a day.

7/21/2006 5:02 PM

 
Blogger The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

mmmmm Famous MArgaritas!

7/24/2006 11:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home