Urban haps of a grrrl on a mission to be a better writer, a new music master-blaster and a wonderfully brilliant razor-packing, MAC LipGlass wearing feminista...

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Wedge Fund

Okay so you may think theHotness grrrl is all rant, no style. No, no, no. Although I hate these Pucci sandals, I do love clothes, shoes, and cute lil' accessories I just hate shopping for them. But now that the Web is all so blowed up, I must say shopping has become a bit more fun, well maybe not fun, but less stressful. Now I can at least scope out what I want first online and sometimes I'll just buy whatever right there on the site.

Anyway, flipping through my new Elle and Jane mags it's clear the classic wedge sandal is back in full effect. When I think of wedge clodhoppers from back in the day, I think about Thelma (BernNadette Stanis) from Good Times and Farrah Fawcett's Jill from Charlie' Angels. It's weird, but I do associate this very classic style with two icons of the 70's & 80's that somehow embodied humor, crass, sexiness, athleticism and independence all while having THE best smiles on network television! Wedges also remind me of Soul Train dancers jamming to Shalamar on Saturday mornings. That's probably why I'm still so fond of these joints even today-- cause nostalgically for me these kicks are totally linked to bad a$s women and soul! Needless to say I'm happy their back in style. Frankly I was wedge and platform sandal crazy in '99 and b/c I never throw anything away, I will be rocking my Steve Maddens and Luichiny's this summer cause they are thehotness. The SM's are pretty standard w/ tan leather straps crisscrossing the top. The Luichi's though are totally unique, black leather peep toes with a 4-inch dark brown wooden wedge platformed heel. They are crazy fly and being that I'm almost 5'10" without them, can you imagine how fiercely Amazonian I look with them! I wish I could've found pictures of them to post (yeah I really need to get a digital camera) but you'll have to take my word. And now that everything old is considered vintage I guess being a pack rat has its advantages.

And loving shoes doesn't mean being a fool for shoes (kinda like the rule I have about loving men). So you won't catch this hotgrrrl spending 5 or 6 bills on a pair of heels. Like I think these shoes are fiya, and these have my name, and in this specific case, shoe-size, written all over them, but instead I'll probably get these for the summer. I just can't break the piggy bank for kicks. And I love, love to walk around a lot, so I definitely can't be shelling out crazy loot for shoes that I can only walk from the front door to a taxi in. That's why this year I'm mostly excited about this place just for us grrrls who like to keep it real and tight laced.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you didn't break out a photo of Thelma from Good Times! I absolutely love your blog! I really need to speak to you via email behind the scenes. It's in regards to something you sent me and I accidentally deleted it...If I left an email address would you email me?

3/19/2006 3:24 PM

 
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Sup mama...thanks for stopping by my spot.
I hate shopping...to complex and I am rather a simple chick (read that how you want...lol) BUT when it comes to shoes...I must say...I am a show whore. Thanks alot for making me admit that to the free world...lol
Stop by anytime...
I'll def be back!

3/20/2006 10:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the title of the post and your blog (as we have already discussed!).

Living in NYC, I also LOVE those wedges! Nothing betta than getting a chance to put down the stilettos. Especially when traipsing across a 95-degree city with bump-a**, uneven concrete!

3/20/2006 4:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, you are one of my few fellow NY bloggers, so I def have to blogroll ya!

3/20/2006 4:58 PM

 
Blogger theHotness Grrrl said...

anonymous-- i left you an eaddy. Ha, I was just about to ask who da hell are you, but then what would be the point of being anonymous. Send your note here: info@kalifly.com

blah- there ain't nothin wrong w/ being a shoe whore, but you just admitted, and to the free world at that, that you are a "show whore"-- we may need to talk.

cocoa-- what's up? we know each other offline? do tell. I'ma check your blog out tonight. I haven't rolled by there in minute and thanks for the link.

3/20/2006 5:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we know each other...just know you're from Harlem (based on your blog).

3/21/2006 12:47 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

I'm there with you on the shoe tip. Can't wait to step pretty in a pair of wedges I snagged over the weekend. Come on spring!!!

-P

3/24/2006 9:01 AM

 
Blogger Supa said...

OH I LOVE ME SOME WEDGIES, HOTNESS GRRRL!!! (yes the caps are very necessary!!)

I blog about them often.....

Can't wait 'till Summer, Summer, Summertime!

3/28/2006 6:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home