Urban haps of a grrrl on a mission to be a better writer, a new music master-blaster and a wonderfully brilliant razor-packing, MAC LipGlass wearing feminista...

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Pink Side of Hip-Hop (Part I)



I was listening to the Star & Bucwild show this morning and they were listing their Top 5 Female MC’s. There was much debate on who should make the Top 5 and not surprisingly Crossover, whose knowledge of hip-hop is suspect and whose love for Black women is even more questionable, could not name any artists because as he puts it “there are no women who can be considered mc’s since most of them don’t really write their own rhymes.” Well if that didn’t get me burning and on the horn at 7:30 this morning, then I’m not theHotness Grrrl. Women are too often relegated to the sidelines and stripper poles of hip-hop culture and I’ve had enough of the b.s. When I thought about it I actually had a tough time trying to compile my Top 5 Female Rappers because there were so many ladies I thought qualified. I however agreed with Crossover who said that Salt-n-Pepa should NOT be on anyone’s Top 5 because they didn’t write any of their rhymes-- Herby "Luv Bug" Azor did. True dat! So that would also probably knock Lil' Kim, Foxy Brown and Eve out of the running as they are all alleged to have had ghostwriters. With that in mind here’s my Top 5. Who makes your list?

5. Sharock (from the Funk Four +1More)
4. Roxanne Shante
3. Lauryn Hill
2. MC Lyte
1. Queen Latifah

3 Comments:

Blogger allaboutgeorge said...

Gotta say Jean Grae would be on my list.

8/11/2005 2:55 PM

 
Blogger allaboutgeorge said...

Oh, and Bahamadia!

8/11/2005 2:55 PM

 
Blogger theHotness Grrrl said...

I love them both too! Like I said it was hard but I just couldn't get them in my Top 5. Top 10 fo' sure! Thanks for your response!

8/11/2005 5:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home